Modern methods of psoriasis treatment in Lviv
Psoriasis of the skin is a chronic disease that has an inflammatory nature with a recurrent course. The main feature of this disease is the accelerated life cycle of epithelial cells. As a result, there is an accumulation of such cells on the surface of the skin, which leads to the formation of clearly demarcated red plaques. Additionally, there is a noticeable peeling of silver color. Moreover, psoriasis is characterized not only by skin lesions in different parts of the body, but also by lesions of the joints, and nail plate. This disease can affect anyone: regardless of age.
The first thing to remember – psoriasis is curable, if you choose the right treatment methods and techniques. The Aesthetic Medicine Clinic of Dr. Myroslava Novosilska employs qualified specialists who will help to choose the most appropriate method of treatment for each patient, taking into account individual characteristics.
The main symptoms of psoriasis
- Convex spots with characteristic white scales;
- Pain in the joints;
- Itching in areas with the rash;
- Dryness and peeling of the skin;
- Frequent bleeding occurs from cracks formed on plaques;
- Cracks or blisters appear;
- Deformed nail plate.
Types of psoriasis
When studying the types of psoriasis, doctors distinguish five main types:
- Simple, common psoriasis, which is most often observed in adults and children (85%). The first signs of psoriasis are presence of redness on certain areas of the skin with white scales. If you accidentally injure such scales, they begin to bleed, which in the future will lead to painful sensations.
- Reverse – is formed at the bends: in women, this disease can occur under the breasts, in the folds of the skin, in the armpits, on the inner surface of the thigh.
- Pustular, when blisters appear on the skin of a transparent color, similar to a burn. At the same time around the pustule there is inflammation, redness of the skin.
- Drip psoriasis – several small bubbles of purple or reddish hue are formed on the skin. The name is explained by the shape of such bubbles – dots or drops.
- Rupioid psoriasis, when in addition to plaques there is an acute inflammatory process in the layers of the epidermis. The surface of the skin under the plaques becomes pink and presence of wet spots is observed.
Revolutionary excimer technology in UV therapy – Excimer 308 system
The compact excimer laser Excimer 308 is a powerful device which was specially created for effective treatment of various skin diseases:
- alopecia areata;
- psoriasis and other common diseases.
A brand new Excimer 308 device is now available in Lviv in Aesthetic Medicine Clinic Myroslava Novosilska. Due to the use of this device, it was possible to expand the capabilities of specialists who have long been engaged in the treatment of psoriasis at different stages. Read more about its proven effectiveness and international studies here and on the official website of the US National Library of Medicine www.pubmed.gov
To book a consultation and view prices for psoriasis treatment, click here.
Characteristics of treatment with the Excimer 308 device
The modern system offers the use of an optimal wavelength of 308 nm, which is suitable for the treatment of UV-sensitive skin diseases. The presented device was specially created for the effective treatment of various skin diseases associated with dysfunction of the immune system (vitiligo, psoriasis).
UV radiation is characterized by the presence of an immune-modulating effect, which has a positive effect on the processes of normalization of pathologically altered cell activity. During the procedure, the Clinic’s specialist will be able to adjust and select the required power (ranging from 50 to 6000 mJ / cm2), taking into account the individual characteristics of each patient.
Thus, the modern system allows to apply rather high, therapeutically effective doses of monochromatic UV radiation. The rays work exclusively on the damaged areas of the skin, without affecting healthy areas.
Advantages of using the Excimer 308 device
- Comfortable and safe
- Clinically proven high efficiency
- Internationally acclaimed effectiveness with US and Israel experience
- Fast guaranteed result
- Focused working area – about 16 cm2
- No unpleasant pain during skin treatment
- No long rehabilitation period
Before the procedure, the skin surface is cleaned of the remnants of make-up, as well as of white scales. Doctor selects the individual course of treatment and dose for each patient.
View prices and details of the procedure.
The course of treatment is determined by a specialist based on the patient’s individual characteristics. On average, treatment is repeated 2-3 times a week with an interval of at least 48 hours after each procedure. It takes 6 to 10 procedures to get rid of plaques, but the first positive effects are noticed by patients suffering from psoriasis after a month of therapy.
How to treat psoriasis: other methods
When understanding how to treat psoriasis on the body, it is important to remember that in this case, complex therapy using several methods will help. To date, there are the following treatment options:
- Topical therapy – various ointments for psoriasis and creams are used to help cope with severe peeling of the skin and itching. However, psoriasis cream can help only in the presence of small affected areas of skin.
- Drug therapy is an additional method when ointments and creams no longer work. The task of drugs is to reduce inflammation, remove swelling and itching, and block the activity of skin cells. However, it should be born in mind that almost all pills have many side effects: poor appetite, fatigue, drowsiness, high blood pressure. Therefore, before taking medication, be sure to consult a doctor.
- Therapeutic shampoos and lotions. Treatment of psoriasis on the head and neck is practiced with the help of such means. These can be special tar shampoos, antifungals, shampoos that contain corticosteroids. The task of lotions and shampoos is to localize the pathogens of pathological inflammation, they help get rid of scales, burning and itching.
- Psoriasis injections are an injectable treatment. Antihistamines help block severe itching and biologics protect the immune system.
Also, it is important to take vitamins for psoriasis, the list of which is determined by a doctor based on the results of the diagnosis of your body.
Features of psoriasis on the head
Psoriasis of the scalp can be of two types – simple and drop-like. This type is often called seborrheic, and the first symptoms are severe peeling of the scalp, which some may confuse with dandruff. Over time, plaques appear which are covered with scales, the skin itches. Patients are prescribed hormonal drugs, vitamins, various cosmetics.
Features of psoriasis on the face
Drip psoriasis can also occur on the skin, but this disease is quite rare. After papules, a person may be covered with noticeable scars. This type of psoriasis is most often the result of hereditary predisposition, prolonged depression, and reduced immunity. In treatment a laser method with ultraviolet radiation is used, as well as numerous creams and ointments.
Features of psoriasis on the feet
Psoriasis on the hands and feet often has a hereditary predisposition. The treatment is comprehensive:
- the patient is prescribed a certain diet;
- lack of intense physical activity, which leads to profuse sweating;
- ointments, creams, solutions;
- laser treatment and more.
Before prescribing a course of treatment, the doctor determines the specific stage of the disease, the patient’s age, as well as the presence / absence of comorbidities.
Psoriasis in a child
It is difficult to understand how psoriasis begins in children. In most cases, the disease proceeds differently than in adults. The first to suffer are the knees, elbows, scalp, face, where red rashes begin to appear. When understanding what psoriasis looks like in children, it is important to remember that children do not have peeling and wet crusts compared to adults. To confirm the exact diagnosis, you need to take a small piece of affected skin for future histological analysis.
Psoriasis in infants under 2 years of age can occur in the folds of the skin, in the area of wearing diapers. The main difference between this disease and diaper rash is the presence of a bright red hue and a clear outline with a slight itching. Psoriasis on the head most often occurs in children aged 10 years and older.
Treatment consists of caring for the baby’s skin and using topical therapies using ointments, lotions and creams.
Procedure of laser treatment of psoriasis in the network of Myroslava Novosilska’s clinics
The Aesthetic Medicine Clinic Myroslava Novosilska employs experienced specialists who know exactly how and with what to treat psoriasis on the body. We use a safe and proven method – a Harmony XL Pro laser of German manufacturer Alma.
To date, this is the only device in Lviv, which was produced in 2020. The main task is to generate powerful ultraviolet radiation of 270-380 nm, which helps to effectively get rid of the external manifestations of chronic disease.
Despite the fact that psoriasis is considered chronic and cannot be completely treated, our experts know proven modern methods that will help successfully combat external skin defects. After all, to date it has not been possible to determine the exact causes of the origin and appearance of psoriasis.
Pointed laser beams have no effect on adjacent healthy areas of skin, affecting exclusively on plaques. Even the most persistent plaques gradually shrink after a few treatments. Complete removal of skin lesions requires from 5 to 10 procedures (depending on the stage of development of psoriasis).
The procedure is completely painless for the patient. Also, it requires no rehabilitation period, which is another advantage of using Harmony XL Pro laser.